Restoration of a Sarcophagus with Twelve Apostles, thanks to Liana Marabini of our Monte Carlo Chapter

Thanks to the generous support of Liana Marabini, the Chapter Leader of the Monaco Chapter, the restoration of the marble Sarcophagus with the Twelve Apostles, executed and supervised by the Marble Restoration Lab of the Vatican Museums, was successfully completed between 2014 and 2015.

Cassa di sarcofago a porte di città: i dodici apostoli disposti ai lati dell'emblema della risurrezione (mancante) offrono corone. Sui lati, decorazione a pelte intrecciate; marmo; 375 - 400; Musei Vaticani; Museo Pio Cristiano; Inv. 31521

BEFORE RESTORATION

Conservation background conditions

The initial analytical examination of the work revealed that much of the sculptural relief was illegible due to high levels of atmospheric dust as well as severe erosion.

Upon closer inspection, the surface appeared dull and unnatural. This perception was caused by the presence of a thick layer of altered waxy substances, applied during previous restorations, in an effort to revive the area affected by water flow when the work was used as a fountain basin. Sculpted surfaces, especially those depicting faces and drapery, were severely eroded.

The restorers identified extensive cracking, considerable gaps and surface areas altered by the presence of dried lichens, which left large and circular white marks on the stone strata, negatively altering the aesthetic appearance. A large lesion originating from the top edge of the sarcophagus ran parallel to the lower edge of the carved face,  fracturing the Apostles’ ankles. This phenomenon was also emphasized by a large deposit of dark limestone caused by leakage and water flow from the crack. A second lesion, larger in size, was previously closed with a bronze bracket, running lengthwise on the left side of the sarcophagus, and branching along the base.

Inv 31521 DR

AFTER RESTORATION

Restoration Solutions

This restoration, which began with a complete preliminary study using photographic and analytic tests, was primarily aimed at repairing the cracks in the sarcophagus. This was done with infiltrations of acrylic resins made with alcohol and premixed water mortars specific for restoration. The cleaning, and regulation following test results, was performed by applying a support system, made up of a gel product, for a brief period of time in order to stabilize the work. Various mechanical instruments were used, such as an compressed air apparatus; they facilitated the removal of surface layers of gypsum in the old fillings.

For the cleaning of the section, which featured a brown limestone crust, the “Michelangelo” Laser was used.  This machine permits an extremely precise and selective intervention. The applied stucco fillings are made of finely granular marble dust and lime putty. Prior to the application of the final protection layer developed by the Marble Restoration Lab, the retouching involved the use of  isopropanol Gamblin organic color pigments limited to areas where lichens left traces. The central bronze bracket was also adjusted to the perimeter of the monument, so that it would no longer be in its initial central position, where it blocked the vision of the iconographic details.

Restoration of an important Sarcophagus depicting a Dionysian Procession, thanks to the California Chapter

Its story

This monumental sarcophagus with the Dionysian Procession (lenòs type, shaped like a bathtub), dates back to 230 AD and was completed for a man and wife. It is characterized by elaborate decorations of high sculptural quality featuring scenes related to the myth and the cult of Dionysus, also called Bacchus. He was the playful god of fertility, nature and drink, who is credited with the creation of wine and the art of viticulture and later considered a patron of the arts and the god of the Greek stage.

Plan of the Hypogeum “Vibia” on the Via Appia (A. Ferrua). The underground “Vibia” is indicated by the letter V.

This sarcophagus was found in 1903 near the Catacombs of San Callisto, broken into 250 fragments. Using the documents in the Vatican Archive, the restoration of this object began in May 1904 under the guidance of Alberto Galli. It was intended to be put on display in the Vatican Museums. Walter Amelung, a famous German archaeologist, described in his writings the great work done on this sarcophagus by Galli, who was assisted by his son Guido, and was able to recompose all 250 fragments. Walter Amelung’s article about this restoration was published for the Pontifical Academy in 1910, accompanied by five photographs that show the sarcophagus in its first exhibition location in the Octagonal Courtyard, in front of the Venus Felix. The sarcophagus remained in the Octagonal Courtyard until the mid-1930’s when it was moved to the Pine Cone Courtyard, and where it remained until the 1960’s, before being moved again to the storage rooms and eventually into the Courtyard of the Zitella.

Grande sarcofago a vasca frammentario: thiasos bacchico, marmo bianco, da Cimitero di Calisto, Roma, Musei Vaticani, non esposto, prima del restauro, inv. 18919

Before Restoration

 

FOTO DIGITALE

After Restoration

The best preserved sections of this large sarcophagus (length 2.85 cm; width 1.30 cm; height 1.31cm) are the lateral curvilinear sides, while the horizontal fronts are almost completely lost. The recent restoration has provided an opportunity to examine the dynamics that had caused such severe damage to the piece. It was discovered that the sarcophagus had been destroyed in order to obtain smaller fragments which could be then used to make lime. This object originates from an area next to the Hypogeum of Vibia on the Old Appian Way, within the complex known as the Cemetery of Balbina, where a lime kiln was built after the area was repurposed from its previous use as a cemetery. On the surface of the sarcophagus are obvious marks from chisels and mallets that broke the marble into pieces. These incisions can be seen on the long sides, the curved sides, and on the base; the marks show that the dismantling of the sarcophagus was interrupted – perhaps because the lime kiln was abandoned – and some fragments still retain traces of the fire from the furnace.

Grande sarcofago a vasca frammentario: thiasos bacchico, marmo bianco, da Cimitero di Calisto, Roma, Musei Vaticani, non esposto, prima del restauro, inv. 18919

Before Restoration

 

FOTO DIGITALE

After Restoration

Its restoration

The conservation of this work was particularly complex and delicate because of the employed methods of reconstruction, and the composition of the work itself. Antonio Galli performed the restoration with an abundant use of brick and stucco to close the wide gaps, and also used several metal pins (which in the end became rusty) to anchor the fragments together. However, after more than a century, the sarcophagus appeared quite dirty and many of the fragments became almost completely detached, with the risk of further damage. As a result, the restoration involved a complex series of operations performed by the Marble Restoration Lab of the Vatican Museums and the Scientific Research Lab. The Kavaklik Company was also involved in the restoration in accord with the methodologies of our laboratories, with constant monitoring by the curators of the Classical Antiquities Department.

Grande sarcofago a vasca frammentario: thiasos bacchico, marmo bianco, da Cimitero di Calisto, Roma, Musei Vaticani, non esposto, prima del restauro, inv. 18919

Before Restoration

 

FOTO DIGITALE

After Restoration

Project partners

Many thanks to the California Chaper for their support of this project, executed by the Vatican Museums. This meant the complete dismantling of the many fragments, and followed by cleaning using various methodologies, including laser ablation. Some of the fragments were scanned in 3D by the Unocad Company, in order to create the prototypes in synthetic material that could reproduce the composition of the various pieces. Unfortunately, as sometimes happens in restoration, this attempt was not suitable for the majority of the fragments and their composition. Thus, the re-assembly was performed by traditional methodologies: anchoring of the various fragments with steel pins easily reversible, and the use of resins only in cases of particular fragility, integrating with mortar and caulking where aesthetically necessary. The result of this restoration is excellent: the splendid sarcophagus – despite its incompleteness – was transferred from the Courtyard of Zitella to the Gregorian Profane Museum, especially to preserve its fragile surfaces. It remains as a testiment to our California Patrons as donors and the expertise of the Vatican Museums in their great work as conservationists. (Patrons of the Arts, November 2015)

Fighting with the Beasts in the Colosseum

Ignatius_of_AntiochRitualized, public violence had been a favorite entertainment of the Romans for centuries. The Damnatio ad bestia, “condemnation to beasts”, was a form of Roman death penalty mainly applied to the worst criminals, slaves, and early Christians, in which the condemned person was mauled to death by ferocious beasts in the amphitheatre. Such a form of execution first came to ancient Rome around the 2nd century BC and, part of the wider class of blood sports called Bestiarii, was considered entertainment for the people of Rome between the 1st to 3rd centuries AD.

800px-Wierix_-_frans_florisim1This painting representing the “Fighting with the Beasts in the Colosseum”, which has been kept in the storage of the Vatican Painting Museum, testifies to the spread of the figurative classical culture in the artistic language of Northern Europe in the 16th century. The painting is signed and dated on the base of the column where the monogram ‘HF 1563’ can be seen. The initials could identify the Flemish painter, Frans Floris (1519-1570). Frans Floris, a native of Antwerp, studied classical sculpture and works of contemporary artists in Italy, more specifically Rome, from 1541 and 1545, which is evidenced in his many drawings. Floris was particularly impressed by Michelangelo’s work in the Sistine Chapel as the Last Judgment was completed in the years when he was in Rome, as well as Raphael’s works in the Vatican Loggia. He returned to his artistic production to Antwerp, enriched by all the historical and mythological themes he had just seen. It is from this state of mind that he created this painting.

The scene shown if2s a battle between men and beasts within an amphitheatre that can be identified as the Colosseum. The composition is divided into two panels:  in the foreground a half naked man fights with a leopard and there is special attention paid to the anatomies of the man and beast in the effort of the struggle. In the background panel, the auditorium floor of the Colosseum servef3s as the backdrop to a series of small sketches, made with a rapid, but equally effective painting technique in terms of pictorial representation.  The painting became part of the Vatican Museums in 1748 from the Sacchetti Collection: on the frame there are wax stamps that confirm this provenance.

To better understand the original structure, the restorers had to clarify the previous restoration that was detected on the panel. The first phase of this restoration consisted of a careful visual analysis of the work that has enabled us to gather valuable information on the techniques that were used to create the work, and its condition.  These visual analysis’ were followed by research using data gathered by the technical lab. As a third part to the restoration undertaking, scientists launched a series of investigations consisting of noninvasive imaging that identified the constituent materials, and the materials used in previous restorations.

f4The frame and support of this work is composed of five axes of radial cut oak, horizontally mounted. The width of the first and the third axis is 21 cm, 28 cm for the second and fourth, and 29.5 for the last axis at the bottom. The axis’ are further supported by glued joints and wooden pins. The painting came to the Laboratory with a structure of support attached that was intended to reduce the movement of the painting. This support system was not the original. Over the entire surface, there is a coating of a thin transparent layer of color similar to a varnish.

 

fi5The main figures in this work were realized in accordance with the preparatory drawing that can be found when looking at scientific images of the painting, or more transparent areas of the painting. The figures were outlined in shimmery black pigment. All parts of the composition found in the background are rendered with transparent color, allowing the the tone of the preparatory layer to come through. In these areas one can really understand how defined and concise the preparatory drawings are. The scientific image also shows interesting modifications that were made to the original preparatory drawing. For example, the figure struggling in the foreground originally donned a loincloth (as can be seen in scientific images revealing the preparatory drawing). The elimination of the loincloth must have occurred as the artist was painting on top of the preparatory drawing

State of Conservation

f6f7The paint layers were strongly adhered to each other, though there was a thin crack in the medium of the brown color of the lion in the left of the scene. Numerous scratches are found in the center, above the figure of the man in the fight with the lion, and on the leg of the sculpture on the right corner of the scene. These scratches could be the damage that resulted from an attemptf8 to remove the old painting.  The biggest problem of this painting is the strong yellow discoloration of the present thick layer of paint. The paints inhomogeneous application has created substantial accumulations of resin that have also caused considerable trouble for the entire painting. There is also evidence of a previous restoration to the frame.

fi8

Restoration Intervention

The restoration was divided into two distinct phases:

  • Restoration of the support and realization of a support structure to control the movements of the wood.
  • Cleaning the surface of the original painting and the aesthetic presentation.

For the restoration of the support, the team for the restoration chose a course of action that would notfi12 depart from the original specifications. The bonding of the axis was done without the insertion of wooden wedges as the practice suggested in the past. A reversible restoration process also needs to be used in order to facilitate any future revisions of the bonds. Even for the support structure a ‘floating’ perimeter frame has been realized, or a structure that is not boufi10nd to the whole plank, reducing the coupling between the two structures to only a few points. The control of the expansion of the wood is entrusted to the springs, specially tuned, included in the attachment points between the chassis and axles of the painting. The cleaning of the painted surface was addressed with an extremely cautious approach since the painting techniqufi14e was characterized by extremely transparent layers of color that remained completely hiddefi11n by the yellow brown discoloration. The very compact oil that is present in the seams between the planks was first mechanically thinned to scalpel off, and to then remove with a slightly basic mixture. The touches of abrasions on the paifi13nt film, which are also resistant to solvents, were first thinned with slight abrasive action of the glass fibers and finished with the solvent mixture TACO. Before the restoration of the painting was began with brushes, the restorers removed all the soft coatings. The slots of the lesions of the support have been compensated at a base level with stucco plaster and glue. The pictorial reintegration was made with watercolors over patched areas and with glazed colors for the rebalancing of the surface. The painted surface was finally protected, with alternating passages, by spraying glossy and matte paint on top.

All of the phases of the work of this restoration have been accompanied by an imaging campaign conducted by the Scientific Research Laboratory. The frame of this painting was restored by reinforcing the angular joints, cleaning the gilding and restoration, and finishing the integration of gaps animg_evert_elzinga_05d gold abrasions. TExhibitionRome-EmperorConstantineDreamhe operation was conducted by the restorer, Marco De Pillis for the wooden portions and Stefano Tombesi for the gilding.  The restoration began in May of 2013 and was completely in February of 2015 thanks to the generosity of Rick and Lisa Altig, Chapter Leaders of the Northwest Chapter. This unique painting is now on display at De Nieuwe Kerk Amsterdam for the exhibition “Rome. Emperor Constantine’s Dream. Art Treasures from the Eternal City” that will present precious artifacts never previously displayed in the Netherlands.

 

 

Precious Ceramic Plaque by Bernard Palissy

This valuable polychrome enameled ceramic plate, restored thanks to the generosity of Mses. Veronika & Franziska Nicholson, members of the Texas Chapter,  is teaserbox_2450005363attributed to the French chemist and ceramist Bernard Palissy (1510-1589). The center of the plate displays the representation of a female figure linked to a Greco-Roman divinity image; the right hand holds a cornucopia, symbol of abundance and happiness. The left hand contains a crown which signifies a regal symbol of wealth. The figure is partially covered by drapery and is accompanied by a winged angel and surrounded by a series of rapacious flying creatures alternating with masculine faces. A herd of camels flank the border, centered by human faces which have been consumed by time and which furnish an especially elaborate decoration enhanced by a notable use of color.

attr. a Bernard Palissy (1510-1590); Piatto ovale in maiolica policroma lavorata a rilievo; sec. XVI; Musei Vaticani; Museo Missionario Etnologico; Inv. 107978
BEFORE THE RESTORATION

The use of the animal theme is a particular characteristic of Palissy, which is countered by a strong use of relief, almost all circular. This kind of artistic work was extremely fashionable in the 1500’s and spread throughout Europe and was particularly appreciated by the French salons. Palissy’s work was greatly esteemed by Catherine de Medici, Queen of France, to the point that she commissioned him in 1564 to design a private grotto in her garden at the Tuileries Palace in Paris.

On the back of the plate is a paper label that reads:

“Plate provenient da l’ancienne Abbaye de Bégard”

(Plate from the ancient Abbey of Bégard)

FOTO DIGITALE

AFTER THE RESTORATION

The plate was in an average state of conservation. The ceramic surface showed small breaks, lesions, chipping and loss of enamel, cracks, glue deposits and also displayed areas where the enamel was protruding from the ceramic base. The principal damage was caused by the corrosion of the three metal graphs inserted, through holes, inside the ceramic body. These were used to unite the broken areas. This was an ancient and common method of repair, called “puntatura” (pointing) used by the master potters in the past. On the back of the plate, through a small hole, a cord (now extremely frayed) had been inserted in order to hang the work on the wall. The restoration consisted in a complete photographic documentation on the condition of the work whic was done before, during and after the conservation. Also a graphic documentation was carried out, in order to record the complete process and various scientific analysis were performed by the Diagnostic Laboratory for Conservation and Restoration: these include x-ray images, infrared analysis to verify color, XRF (fluorescent X analysis), FTIR (Infrared Spectrometry analysis ). The surface was cleaned using a swab with de-ionized water and pure alcohol and the restorer, Tina Cuozzo, completed a mechanical removal of the rusted iron staffs. This caused no damage to the ceramic body. Afterwards, she proceeded with the consolidation of fractures and lesions on the ceramic using a epoxy adhesive and repairing holes with cellulose filler. The final steps of the restoration consisted in the paint reintegration of the fillings using acrylics and watercolors. As historic testimony, the decision was made to leave the paper label on the back of the plate with the text that attests to the geographic provenance.

The Palatine Flag

The Palatine Flag was the representative flag of the Palatine Honor Guard, featuring bright white on the right side and yellow on the left. At center, in sharp contrast, a coat of arms surrounded by decorations of branches, racemes and bows stands out. The upper right corner bears a large, white ribbon embellished with an inscription reading, “Palatine Honor Guard.” The Guard was a military unit of the Vatican formed in 1850 by Pope Pius IX who ordered that the two militia units of the Papal States be amalgamated. The corps, guardia-palatinaexpanded to include nearly 750 soldiers by 1860, was formed as an infantry unit and took part in keeping watch over the city of Rome. The only occasion on which it saw active service was on September 20, 1870 during the resistance to the occupation of Guardia Palatina 1940Rome by Italian government troops. The Corps, along with the Noble Guard, was abolished in 1970 by Pope Paul VI as part of the reforms of the Church following the Second Vatican Council. Former guardsmen were invited to join a new group called The Association whose statutes were approved by the Pope on April 24, 1971. This civilian association supports charitable, educational and religious programs in Rome.

Item Description/Form of Composition:

The work comprised of two identical faces sewn together along the edges. On both sides, there are two vertical bands of taffeta, flagone yellow, the other white. At the center stands the coat of arms of Gros de Tour, painted directly on the fabric, surrounded by a metal medallion containing the crossed keys and the cross of Sant’Andrea. The four corners contain foliage. The bands are sewn together in the central part of the flag with handmade string. The fringe is blocked by a seam between the two faces. The central medallion was probably replaced, as the restorer noticed residues of a previous material in the metallic yarn bordering the drawn oval medallion.

The condition of the work can be defined as poor, given the bad condition of both faces. The taffeta background is in an advanced state of decay due to various factors such as the technique of execution, frequent use, previous interventions, and the method of exhibition. The silk used in the creation of the flag shows the degredation typical of silk products loaded with mineral substances, such stiffness and cracks in the fabric. The use of the flag has naturally caused lacerations and cuts, that were treated with numerous vegetable glues (starch paste) in previous resorations. These previous interventions worsened the state of the silk. Weighed down by glue, it has become even more rigid and fragile.

Senza titoloThe ivory fabric also has dark spots probably due to the effect of localized oxidation. The lacerations and deformations are widespread across the whole surface. There are many many unrelated lacerations, that have been mended with yarns of different types (probably synthetic yarns or yarns of coarse vegetable fiber). Senza titoloThe last exhibition of the flag has worstened its condition. The artefact was nailed to display panel with metallic points, spaced between the 30 cm gold. This type of exposure has caused the fabric to fail from the top down, resulting in the formation of tears and various other lacerations and deformations around the anchorage point. Several animal exoskeletons were also found, evidence of a biological attack. The mettalic yarn is in mediocre condition. The front part, having been exposed to the environment, appears to be more oxidized than the rear, which rested on the display panel and was therefore more protected. They show evidence of slegature, pleats, embroidery and lifting-off of previous interventions performed with yellow cotton thread.

Restoration

The removal of superficial dust with a controlled vacum

Thanks to the Illinois Chapter, the restoration was completed according to the future, vertical display of the work and was also conducted vertically, allowing both sides to be visible. The original silk fabric could no longer support the embroidery because of its vast state of decay. The original taffeta was, therefore, replaced and kept in storage, after a stabilizing intervention. Some fragments of the original fabric were used to test products that were to be used during the restoration. The stored silk will provide evidence of the original appearance of the work and will provide an important material on which to experiment.

 

The conservation of the work was carried out in the following stages:

  • Removal of dust and sampling of surface stains for diagnostic purpose
  • Removal of the metallic embroidery and separation of the two faces
  • Cleaning of the metallic embroidery and examination of its fitness
  • Preparation of the new support fabric
  • Application of the new fabric to support the embroidery
  • Application of the lining and construction of the new display

 

Removal of dust and sampling of surface stains for diagnostic purposes

embroiderySurface dust was removed with a micro-controlled vacum from both faces of the work. Powdered metallic yarn was removed from the bottom of the fabric. Deposits were well sampled at the GRS in the Vatican Museum to verify their composition.dep During this phase, surface stains were selected and sampled for diagnostic testing. One aim of the investigation wass to identify the composition of the metallic yarn and silk fabric and ascertain their condition. The metallic yarn was studied for corosion in order to develop a subsequent method of wet cleaning. Given the condition of the silk fabric, the diagnostic campaign was also aimed at consolidating a method of testing products on the material. Small fragments on both the front and back were used for tests. All samples and their results are included in the diagnostic analysis of this report.

Removal of the metallic embroidery and separation of the two faces

cuttingThe embroidery was removed from both faces of the flag by cutting the original fabric close to the metallic yarn with the aid of short blade surgical scissors. removingAfter removing the decorations from the rear face of the flag it was able to separate the rest of the material. As said in the description of the condition, the two parts of the flag had undergone various tie-off interventions to repair rips and tears, including the application of patches with starch glue which has inevitably saturated the fabric. Steam was applied to humidify the cold glued areas of the posterior surface and fascilitating the insertation of milinex and tissue paper under the detached fabric. positioningThis further facilitated the transport of a mock graphic made before any intervention with the embroidery. The fabric was transported and locked to a support non-woven fabric (TNT), located above the melinex, and seams were applied to bridge the gap. After removing the rear face of the flag restorers descovered twenty-five glued-on patches on the back of each side (17 on the white portion, 8 on the yellow). The patches were wetted with cold vapor to lightly reactivate the starch paste and mechanically remove the patches with steel paddles.

Cleaning of the metallic embroidery and examination of its fitness

BrushOnce separated from the base fabric, the embroidery was wet cleaned at low pressure. applicationThe cleaning system was developed alongside the GRS. The embroidery was then positioned on a low pressure table and rested on a TNT support before being humifidied by nebulized distilled water. The water was left to gently impregnate the material. The embroidery was then sponged gently with mild soap (saponin Carlo Erba diluted to 0.1 g / L in distilled water). The oxidized embroidery was brushed with an application of 5% sodium bicarbonate in distilled water. The embroidery was then rinsed several times and the water was sampled to verify that all the baking soda and soap had been remobed. The embroidery was then left on the table until it was completely dry.

Preparation of the new support fabric

arrangementThe original fabric of the flag is a taffeta and the same material, silk taffeta, was used to replace the old fabric. The same process was also repeated. The search of a fabric of new manufacture that retained the same visual characteristics as the original is not successful. The natural aging of the work, which affected both the silk metallic yarn, limited the search for the new material, as a newly manufactured fabric obviously cannot have the same appearance as the aged material. Moreover, the colors found in the current market were significantly different from the color of the original fabric. Replacing the silk with redyed material was considered essential, as it would become an obvious carryover from the ancient object. In order to preserve the image and historical accuracy of the piece, it was decided to dye the new taffeta in the laboratory. With this dye, the Tapestry restoration workshop was able to achieve a color very similar to the original that would harmoniously blend into the “patina” of the original piece.

 

Application of the new fabric to support the embroidery

insertingAfter the preparation of new taffeta was completed, the restorers have been able to proceed with the application of metallic embroidery. First, they reviewed the stability of the yarn and repaired the parts that needed it. The tie-off metal wires were unbound with two number 3/945 heads (in the laboratory)/ After the taffeta was found to support the embroidery, it was dyed on the back. Subsequently, the embroidery was “cleaned up” around the edged by removing the excess original fabric and placed on the new support fabric. In order to ensure the correct placement of the embroidery, the fabric was tensioned on a frame and the embroidery was positioned by referring to a grap made on melinex prior to being removed from the original fabric. In order to attache the central medalion, it was necessary to remove the fabric from the tame and streetch it on the tabletop with fabric weights. exampleThe painted portion of the central medallion was inserted after the embroidery had been reattached. The outer fringe was sewn to the front of the work and tidied by passing the repated passing of a long nylon thread. All these operations were performed separately for both faces of the flag

Application of the lining and construction of the new display

sewOnce the embroidery had been reattached on both sides of the work, restorerers finisheset about designing a new system in which the flag could be displayed, in order to ensure the visibility of the work from both the front and back. The newly designed display structure is constructed of a metal rod with two welded crossbars. The bars are the same size as the flag (ca. 120 cm) and were covered with canvas onto which was sewn bits of velcro. The back of the flag was also covered in canvas and velcro. The velcro maintains tension in the piece and allows the frame and the flag to remain two parts that are easily separated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coriolanus, King of the Volsci

This wonderful tapestry, restored thanks to the generosity of our Canada Chapter, is part of a series illustrating the stories of Coriolanus which is known as the cycle of Coriolanus. This tapestry was completed in Paris in the workshop of Faubourg Saint- Marcel at the beginning of the 17th century. The cycle of Coriolanus was based on drawings dating back to the 16th century, between 1570 and 1590.

The subjects were inspired by the Lives of Plutarch, precisely by the French translation by Amyot in 1559. DSC_3205The Vatican Museums tapestry represents the left hand side of a larger work which originally belonged  to the National Mobilier of Paris and shows Coriolanus asking hospitality from the king of Volscian, Tullius Aufidio.  The original tapestry was a scene divided into two parts by a column and a wall: on one side there was the inside of an elegant room with a large Renaissance fireplace and on the side of this large fireplace is seated Tullius Aufidio receiving Coriolanus. The other side of the tapestry is the portion presented in this Wishbook for restoration: in the foreground there are two soldiers, one of them is Coriolanus, and a group of people is watching the scene.  A Renaissance architectural balcony and a large marble floor is represented in the background.

Before its restoration, the tapestry appeared to be in a good state of preservation, but the entire surface was covered with a significant layer of dust, there were a number of places where texture had been lost, Schermata 2015-10-09 alle 09.35.05particularly in the central part (areas CD3-­‐5), and in the lateral sections. In regards to color, in those colors matching the brown there has been a considerable loss of wool, whereas in the light colors the yarn lost was silk (areas A1-­‐10, E1-­‐10). There were many previous restorations, where many deadlifts were unstitched, some of which were very precarious; in some cases the most visible sagging had already been sewn in previous restorations or preservation. The article along the selvedge parts bended in result, and in fact this was partially visible. Along the perimeter of the frame restorations performed by brush with varnish colors were visible. In the area E1, a total lack of blue selvedge was observed. At present, there was also some coarse mending (areas A1 to E1; from A10 to E10; A11-­‐E11). There has been very obvious desaturation of the color in the areas B3, B4, C2, D2, and in the vicinity of Coriolanus’s arm there is a noticeable crease. On the corners of the selvedge there were holes that were obviously caused by the use of nails. The tapestry has a linen lining that covered only the perimeter portion of the work leaving the central one uncovered. Thias has caused numerous tensions over the entire surface. At the corners of the lining five stamps were found with the initials SDF.

The central scene: The tapestry in question was positioned for the restoration of a new frame, which allows a homogeneous tension over the entire surface. The carried out restoration is the placement, where there are shortcomings of the plot, a support in linen color of the area to be restored, on which the warps were stopped by apoint type, sewn alternately. This tie-­‐off was carried out with yarn of wool or silk, depending on the lack of texture present in the area. So, in the area E1 there is a total lack of the blue selvedge. Action was taken using a connective cloth support, which was specially dyed.
The selvedges: they have been carefully restored by applying a connective support and linen.
The lining: the tapestry is lined with cotton fabric, previously prepared with a diamond pattern regular grid, which allows for a uniform distribution of weight. At the end of the lining, on the high side, a velcro strip has been placed, over which the tapestry will be hung. The five stamps found on the original liner were sewn for support and applied on the left side of the bottom of the tapestry after the completion of the restoration. To make them visible to scholars, the left corner of the cover was left with velcro sewn on the perimeter.

Unveiling of the Room of the Addresses

The Room of Addresses is so named because, in the 19th century, it had been the place of receiving addresses to the Holy See from all over the world (it’s not the place the Pope keeps his rolodex). Then, from the pontificate of Pope Pius XI (1922-1939) onward, the hall became a place of glorious display for a valuable collection of ivories, enamels, metal works and other artistic pieces from the same countries from which so many appeals of peace and joy had been received.

It was clear that the cabinets used to showcase these works, originally acquired over 200 years ago and meant for the library of Cardinal Zelada, were woefully inadequate for the needs of this collection. They were not designed for this purpose and therefore did not have the climate control or ease of viewership that is generally required for modern museum exhibition.

Over the past two years an extensive restoration project of these displays has been underway thanks to the generous donations of patron Joseph Incaudo, in loving memory of his wife Beatrice Maddalena (1946-2009). Thanks to his support, the treasures housed in this hall now have a more modern home, befitting their beauty and importance.

Room of the Addresses, California Chapter from Vatican Patrons of the Arts on Vimeo.

The restoration of the Room of Addresses demonstrates the ways in which patrons who devote their support to structural elements of the Vatican Museums can make a significant contribution to the overall experience of millions of visitors over the years to come. For our 2016 Wishbook, many of our donation opportunities represent these kind of large-scale improvements to the museums that assist in access or education. Keep an eye out for projects such as these in the coming months, they will maintain an important legacy for those who have the chance to patronize them.

On June 25, these crucial restorations were ready to be unveiled. His Eminence Cardinal Giuseppe Bertello (President of the Governorate of City Vatican), Antonio Paolucci (Director of the Vatican Museums), Benedetta Montevecchi (Historian) and Guido Cornini (Curator of the Department of Decorative Arts of the Vatican Museums), and our own Sara Savoldello, Romina Cometti and Camille Reyes were on hand to officially inaugurate the new displays.

The cases also facilitate a restructuring of the collection into an improved experience for viewers which allows for focused curation and a more intuitive organizational pattern for the pieces following chronological and geographical nodes.  As part of the event on the 25th, organizers also showcased restorations on the Barocchi Crucifixes, thanks to the Reas of our Michigan Patrons, as well as upcoming restoration on St. Pantaleo sponsored by the Perry Family of Ohio.

 

At the Conference discussing thie new display. From left to right: Benedetta Montevecchi, Antonio Paolucci, HE Card. Bertello and Guido Cornini.

At the Conference discussing thie new display. From left to right: Benedetta Montevecchi, Antonio Paolucci, HE Card. Bertello and Guido Cornini.

Curator Guido Cornini being interviewed by Televisa on the unveiling.

Curator Guido Cornini being interviewed by Televisa on the unveiling.

Viewers admiring the new display cases.

St. Pantaleo displayed in the top middle.

Viewers admiring the new display cases.

Viewers admiring the new display cases.

Chapel of San Lorenzo in the Holy Stairs Opens with Special Presentation on June 11, 2015

As our Patrons know, the restoration of the Sanctuary of the Holy Stairs is one of our major projects. After a major preliminary study and completion of the first phase (The Chapel of San Silvestro) supported by the Getty Foundation 2000-2006, work has continued thanks to the Patrons of the Arts Office and the Vatican Museums Department of Paintings Conservation. Maestro Paolo Violini is supervising 9 young restorers who have completed the second phase of the project: The Chapel of San Lorenzo, the area of the Sanctuary in which Holy Mass is celebrated. The results are extraordinary and we will be celebrating all this in a special inaugural presentation on June 11, 2015. Prof. Arnold Nesselrath will outline the year’s work in an illustrated power point presentation not to be missed. Our own Father Mark will also be speaking about the contribution of the various Patrons involved. Additional remarks will be from Father Ottaviano D’Egidio and Father Francesco Guerra of the Passionist Congregation at the Holy Stairs, who are responsible for this important Pontifical Sanctuary.

For those who won’t be able to come to Rome for the opening, here is a link to a short film by Catholic News Service produced for Easter 2015, which gives a good sense of what is being undertaken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2_ez8U_cRE

Mary Angela Schroth

Paul Brill, Paesaggio con artisti (part.),Roma. Scala Santa, cappella di San Lorenzo, 1588-1590.jpg

The photo here is part of a fresco by the Flemish landscape artist Paul Bril, whose possible self-portrait is portrayed in the lunette above the entrance to the Sancta Sanctorum (Holiest of Holies) at the Holy Stairs.

A Glimpse into the Museums’ Past Made Beautiful Once More

The generosity of the International Chapter has made possible the restoration of four magnificent plaster casts by the multitalented artist Pietro Melandri. Most famous for his work with ceramics, Melandri was tapped by Pope Pius XI in the early 1930s to aid architects Giuseppe Momo and Gio Ponti in the design of a new entrance to the Vatican Museums. The creation of the independent Vatican State on the 11th of February, 1929 necessitated a new entrance to the museum that would provide access to the space, while separating it physically from Italian territory. Essential to the planning stages of this grand entrance, these four plaster casts document the progression in architectural style from a simple, rusticated portal to a grander and more elaborate architectural statement.

The restoration of these historically significant plaster models carried out by Restorer Marta Giommi was quite complex. Due to poor storage conditions, the casts showed significant structural and cosmetic damage. They had sustained deep scratches and their surfaces were stained by rust, water, and dirt. Plaster is an incredibly porous material that readily absorbs dust and dirt particles. After a careful cleaning with a microfiber brush, the surfaces of the casts remained greyish. In order to preserve the water-soluble material from which the cast is constructed, the restoration team applied warm agar in order to carefully extract particles trapped within the pores of the material. This carefully constructed material removed the dirt from the pieces just as a facemask removes dirt from a human face, leaving these plaster designs white once more. After significant structural reparations, these magnificent glimpses into the design of an important feature of the Vatican Museums are once more ready for view. We are grateful to the International Patrons for their generous contribution that made this restoration possible! We look forward to seeing all of you at the International Patrons event on July 13.

IMG_0304

IMG_0308

A 4th Century Sarcophagus Commemorating Lost Loved One and Love of God

Love can mean many things, but the Greek term “agape” is meant to convey love that is total and self giving. It is more than simple physical passion or “eros,” or “filia” friendship. Discovered in the Vatican near St. Peter’s and dating to the the Constantine era (mid 300’s A.D.), this sarcophagus, which has been called “Agape” stands a lasting testament of love both for a lost spouse and for God who watches over her in eternity.

Though inscriptions on pieces like these are rare, etched on the surface here are the words, “To my dear wife, Agape” – as well as a note commemorating the span of their relationship down to the day – “55 years, 1 month, and 5 days.” Surrounding this touching memorial are numerous architectural aspects as well as biblical scenes from the new and old testaments. These include the sacrifice of Isaac, Jonah and the whale, and many miracles of Christ.

[VIDEO} for more on this amazing piece of history watch this brief video with Christian Antiquities Curator Umberto Utro and Valentina Lini.

Sarcophagus of Agape and Crescentianus, California Chapter from Vatican Patrons of the Arts on Vimeo.

Curator of the Christian Antiquities Department, Dr. Umberto Utro, and Valentina Lini explain the project. Careful cleaning and meticulous work were able to return the piece to its original luster and will allow it to stand for all time as a beautiful monument to a loving husband who was committed to “agape” for his wife and for God. Thanks to generous donations from the California Chapter – particularly the efforts of Roberta and Howard Ahmanson for their help in restoring this treasured memorial of love and faith.

It’s easy to become a Patron! To participate in meaningful projects like this one please contact our Office and find out how to glean the benefits of membership which include special programs, private tours, and behind-the-scenes glimpses into the Vatican Museums.

Junior membership is designed for those under 35 years old and provides all the advantages of membership at a reduced rate – to learn more click here.