The Ostia Collection is composed of the archeological finds discovered in the Ancient Roman port city of Ostia during nineteenth century excavations, with many objects originating from those excavations led by Pietro Ercole Visconti between 1855 and 1870. These excavated artifacts were collected in two exhibition halls of the Gregorian Profane Museum in the Lateran Palace. The entirety of this collection was later preserved in the new building in the Vatican Museums inaugurated in 1970.
This collection includes a diverse collection of instruments made of terracotta and metal used in the daily life of Ancient Romans in the Imperial Age. When exhibited, these artifacts are distributed inside several display cases. Unfortunately, the collection, particularly the bronze artifacts, shows evident signs of gradual degradation of structural integrity, and it is therefore urgent that restorers intervene in order to restore a secure state of conservation.
On the occasion of this collection’s restoration, efforts will be made to better conserve the newly-restored objects by reformulating new display cases.